dashboard
cbox quiet? try our discord
direct cbox link
left me
speechless
welcome to
avalon
gone inactive? post in character reactivation by july 14th!
it's july! it's summertime and the sun is shining!

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

books a plenty, open
retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
divorced but falling for bianca lambert
1395 posts
looks like richard madden
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
discord, pmmature status: yes
azalea avenue sunny side estates
despite christmas having only just been over and done with, and daniel getting a bunch of new books as gifts, dominic couldn't help but find himself in the children's section of barnes and noble. he had a book in each hand and was deliberating on which one to get. neither of the books were what daniel had recieved, or even had at home, he knew that for sure. it wasn't unlike him for being unable to make his mind up. normally he could make decisions in a split second, but when it came to books, he was completely stumped.

it shouldn't be that hard.

unfortunately it was, and the decision was damn hard. eventually he just gave up trying to decide and held both books in one hand, whilst heading down towards the adult section of the book store. now that he had books for daniel, he could look around for books for himself. thinking about it more, he could probably write his own book. like an autobiography of his life. dominic shook his head and stopped in an aisle, looking up at the sections. writing his own autobiography would be too much work, and he wasn't sure that he had the patience to be doing something like that. dominic grabbed a book from the shelf and pulled out more than was he meant to, books spilling on the floor. "shit." he mumbled, trying to bend down to pick them up.

boudoir photographer31
avalon, bridgeport, and nycshe/her
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
pm/telegrammature status: yes
fairview street suburbs
she could have borrowed one of noah’s multiple sets, or she was pretty sure chris would have had copies on hand, but harry potter seemed like the sort of household staple that she was very belated in stapling into her own household. so only partially to pacify her dear friend, jo finally tucked a lovely boxed set of the decades old series under her arm. but with the store busy, bustling with people eager to use their shiny new giftcards, she decided to avoid the long lines and continue to meander through the aisles, which was hardly a chore at even the worst of times.

chewing her lip thoughtfully, she reads the back summary of a book, debating whether or not sarah was old enough to enjoy neil deGrasse tyson, when the distinct sound of books tumbling to the floor followed by a curse pulls her attention away. it’s easy enough to piece together what’s occurred and her mouth pulls taut in a smile that she tries to suppress, a chuckle buried in the back of her throat. it takes a moment before she mindlessly tucks the book in her hand under her arm with the harry potter set before stepping over to help. “oh dear,” she mutters lightheartedly by way of greeting, crouching down to help stack books with her free hand. “some of these shelves really are stocked way too tight.”

retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
1395 posts
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
a while ago, dominic had been able to bend down and pick things up off the floor with no problem, but ever since he'd had the prosthetic leg, it got a little bit more difficult. it even got a little bit difficult when daniel wanted to be picked up. dominic couldn't quite bend the knee joint properly without it causing a few problems. this instance with the books on the floor, was not at all different from all of the rest of the times where he'd dropped things on the floor and hadn't been able to get down far enough to pick them up. it probably also didn't quite help that he'd put on his skinny jeans that were a little bit tight around the prosthetic, and that just mean that he could be in danger of ripping his pants - how embarrassing would that be?

thankfully there was a saving grace and dominic automatically straightened himself out and up. he stretched out his back a bit and made sure that his leg was secure before bending over at the waist and taking some books from the stack that had been built (not as far to go down then). "they are." he grumbled, putting the books back on the shelf and making sure that they wouldn't fall off. "thanks for helping me." now that the pile was smaller, he wasn't sure if he could get back down there, but he tried and just about managed to grab the top two books before almost toppling over. dominic grabbed the shelf to steady himself and shoved the books back on there.

boudoir photographer31
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
fairview street suburbs
it is easy to note the way that he doesn’t crouch down with her, collecting books on the floor, instead awkwardly bending at the waist to pick up those she’s already stacked. but it’s the sort of oddity that makes her brain furrow in curiosity and get slotted along quietly as the sort of thing that doesn’t get bluntly asked about. could he be rude? could he not want to get too close to her? could it be a physical issue? could be anything! though the way he quietly thanks her for helping seems to discount rudeness, in her opinion.

then he stumbles, a noteable motion that makes her jerk in reflex as if to catch him – as if her awkward position beneath him could be of any real assistance in that regard – but he manages to catch his balance quickly enough. promptly, jo sets her own collection of books onto the floor so she can pick up the stack of remaining books, standing so they’re easier for the both of them to return to the shelf. “are you alright?” she questions, a crease of concern knitting her brows, a hand reaching out into the air between them, a silent extension of aid, prepared in case he should lose his balance again.

retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
1395 posts
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
it was probably because he was a little bit tired today that made him feel a bit more uneasy on his feet than was normal. it wasn't unusual for dominic to be tired anyway, normally it was because he had a toddler to look after, and those small people were generally full of beans and energy and liked nothing more than to sap out all of the energy of their parents. it was just one of those things. however, daniel was at his grandparents house, and dominic could have taken many naps throughout the day, but had decided to head down to barnes and noble instead. that was his own fault.

especially since being tired, caused him to ache. and aching was a nuisance when it meant that he couldn't get down to pick up the things that he had knocked off the shelf. "ah, my leg won't let me get down." he admitted, patting the prosthesis. maybe he could do with another one of those massages from odette's magic fingers. he'd had to ask her for one later on. "thanks for helping me." he gave the woman a soft smile.

boudoir photographer31
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
fairview street suburbs
her eyes drop down briefly to where he pats his leg as explanation and she nods her sympathy, curious but unwilling to pry further. there’s a small part that thinks it a shame, he looks much too young for a bad leg, but it’s a silly notion at best. bad things happen to young people all the time. she turns her smile back up to him, her head shaking politely. “no problem at all.” she assures, bending quickly to snatch her books back up, hugging them against her chest as she straightens back up.

in doing so, she can’t help but glance to the colorful spines tucked under his own arm. she smiles at a familiar title. “my daughter loved this one when she was little.” she remarks, reaching out to tap a finger against one of the books. “you have kids?”

retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
1395 posts
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
straightening out, dominic was able to become a bit more steadier on his feet, and could stay still without teetering. no longer was he in a compromising position, and it was better that way. though he did lean against the book shelf a bit, he wasn't about to topple over - well, at least not if his prosthetic came undone like it had done a few times before. when the woman tapped the spine of one of the books in his arms, he looked down at the books and smiled. she asked if he had kids, and he nodded. "just one." he told her, smiling fondly as the image of his son's face came into his mind.

"he's two, and i read to him every night. he loves his books... sometimes he likes to eat them, but he likes listening to them being read to him by anyone who will do it." dominic couldn't help but talk about daniel now. he loved his son to the moon and back. "how old is your daughter?" he asked, knowing that the books he had in his hands were for the younger ones just starting out their love for books. these ones were easy for him to start to teach daniel how to read, despite the toddler having a limited vocabulary at the moment - but he was learning new words every day!

boudoir photographer31
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
fairview street suburbs
her smile is big, bright in the affection of one parent listening to another speak fondly of their own. she chuckles at the image of his little two year old gnawing at books. the love was clear, blatant heart out on the sleeve and she basked in it. “oh, she just turned eleven. eleven going on thirty.” she teases with a little eyeroll. “she was a lot more independent as a kid. she liked to read the books to me even before she could actually read. but my little boy, he’s eight now, he was the same as yours, loved being read to. classic dr seuss fanatic, the man could do no wrong. i probably could still recite green eggs and ham off the top of my head to this day.” as difficult as things had been recently in the aftermath of liam’s death, of struggling through their first summer without their father coming home, of temper tantrums and tears and doors slamming shut, it is easy to fall into the smooth gush of talking about her children too. blatant heart out on the sleeve.

retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
1395 posts
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
looking at the woman in front of him, he hadn't expected her to have a child that had just turned eleven. she looked so young and in shape, and... well, he shouldn't be thinking about any of that. so he just smiled and nodded. he loved to talk about daniel, and that conversation came with no problems. ah yes, dr seuss; the books that many kids loved. "daniel loves dr. seuss, but he prefers that his books are full of magic and thrills. i know he's only two, but i can see it in his eyes that he prefers them to others. that's why i have..." he held one of the books up. "room on the broom... it incorporates two of his favorite things; magic and animals." plus it would be easy to help him to learn to read when the time came for it.

dominic looked over the woman, he noticed that she looked a little sad, and wondered if there was anything wrong. he'd ask, but he hated to pry. but she seemed so much happier when she was talking about her children. "do either of them read harry potter?" he asked, holding up the fourth book in the series - the one that he hadn't yet read to daniel, as they were just finishing up with the prisoner of azkaban.

boudoir photographer31
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
fairview street suburbs
“aww,” she coos, studying the cover of the book, listening to the literary tastes of the man’s two year old. “magic and animals. you’ve got a real adventurer on your hands, huh?” she teases with a grin. the sort of imagination that must be brewing in the toddler, nurtured by a father so clearly observant and in tune, it’d be a splendid kind of handful down the road!

she lights up with amusement as she asks after harry potter, chuckling and ducking her head as if slightly embarrassed, looking down to the full box set in her arms. “uh, no… i mean, i think my boy would like it? he loooved the hobbit, so fantasy and adventure is right up his alley, but he’s not so much a reader anymore, sadly, and sarah’s on a science kick, astronomy and all that.” she laments, holding up ‘welcome to the universe’ in one hand before balancing the harry potter series up in the other. “but i recently confessed to a friend that i’ve only read the first four, so i’ve been told that i have to read the rest or i’ll be disowned.”

retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
1395 posts
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
dominic nodded his curly locks. "so it would seem." he loved that daniel had a sense of literary adventure, and he especially loves it when daniel brings books to him and asks him to read. he'd been reading to him since he was born, and he didn't think that it was going to stop unless daniel asked him to stop. he hoped that the could continue on with that bonding time until he was, at least, into his teenage years. well, early teens at a push. "he does love his books though." as did dominic. when he wasn't reading to daniel, and he had some spare time on his hands, he was reading actual books, or browsing the audible app on his kindle, looking for his next read.

"whaaaat?" he gasped softly, eyes glancing down to the box-set in the woman's hands. he found it kind of hard to believe that someone hadn't read any of the harry potter series. but then she confessed that she'd read the first four and he couldn't be mad at her for that. "i'll be honest... i never read the books, because i never had much time overseas to read, and when i came back here i couldn't really read anyway; or watch the movies. it's only been recently that i started to read them to daniel because i thought he might like them. we're actually almost done with the prisoner of azkaban, which i think is the third one?" he nodded to the box-set, then held up the goblet of fire. "just buying this one now, because we'll be onto it soon. we read a couple chapters of the book every night at bedtime. puts him right to sleep."

boudoir photographer31
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
fairview street suburbs
“gets it from his dad?” she teases with a playful wrinkle of her nose. the man certainly seemed at home in a bookstore, intent on feeding his son’s budding bookworm nature in a way that she didn’t imagine a less literary inclined parent to be. it makes her wonder, as she often does, how her children reflect the way she and liam raised them. she read happily to levi, but he prefers his sports and paints to books. and sarah with her love of outer space and star dust, where did that come from? certainly no books that jo can ever remember reading to her.

“i know, i know,” she murmurs with a grin, ducking her head down in playful theatrics of shame. but raising her head back up, she listens intently, nodding gently before focusing back on the book. “oh, well, you two are in for a treat because goblet of fire was personally my favorite of the bunch. prisoner of azkaban will put anyone to sleep.”

retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
1395 posts
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
"he does." dominic smiled. for once he actually felt at ease. and that wasn't an easy thing when you were still recovering from ptsd from being stationed overseas in a war-torn country. he'd never really felt like he'd be at ease again, and he had accepted that. yet somehow, in this setting, it was as though everything were normal again, and the only pain he felt was that horrible dull ache where his leg should be. but dominic could look past that for the moment, and focus on the books at hand, and a conversation that actually felt meaningful to him, and very likely to this woman as well.

"actually, he quite enjoyed the chapter with the monster book of monsters. he was giggling all the way through that part." he smiled, then ran his free hand through his curly locks. "we'll see what goblet of fire has to offer once we get to it. shouldn't be too long, i think we have about six more chapters left of azkaban, then we can move onto goblet." he found himself just looking at the woman's face for a few moments, before realizing that neither of them had really introduced themself. dominic shifted slightly and extended his free hand. "i'm dominic by the way, but everyone calls me nicky." his smile was warm as he waited for her name

boudoir photographer31
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
fairview street suburbs
“well, if he liked the monster book, i am sure he’s gunna really like goblet of fire.” she offers with a certain nod of her head. killer mermaids, fire-breathing dragons, labyrinths and epic wand battles – what’s not for an imaginative magic-loving toddler to be thrilled about?

the conversation is easy as most conversations are for her, and it lulls in a way that doesn’t necessarily feel awkward. perhaps something about it should, the way he is looking at her and the way she looks back at him without saying anything for a few moments – but maybe her brain is a little distracted because she’s thinking that his eyes look about as kind as his smile, that the curls of his hair are almost boyish, and she likes the scruff on his face… and of course that makes her think about how she loved the scruff on liam’s face even though he hated it, shaved it off as soon as he could. he only wore a beard when he came home.

she starts when he introduces himself, laughing at how it hadn’t even occurred to her that they’d yet to exchange names. she shifts the books in her arms to free up a hand, happily taking hold of his with a confident grip. “jocelyn, but everyone calls me jo.” she introduces, bringing her hand back to herself. “are you from here?”

retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
1395 posts
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
dominic nodded. "i'm sure he will." came his statement as he looked down at the books in his hand, then over at the books on the shelves. there was so many choices out there, so how could he pick just a couple? he'd go over and have a look, but that might considered rude. the conversation with this woman just flowed so easily, and he wasn't about to let it dwindle by just walking away. besides, she seemed just as invested in books as he did, and he loved that.

no longer was he the awkward customer that stood around until closing time, staring at three different books before deciding to buy none of them. no, he was going to the customer that actually brought some books. ones that he was sure that daniel would enjoy immensely. his son was all about that magic, and though he was just two (soon to be three), he had a rather vivid imagination.

when the two of them finally got around to introducing themselves to each other, dominic smiled. "well, it's nice to meet you jo." he shifted his weight onto his normal leg, but kind of needed to sit down for a few moments, because it was tiring standing up. "yeah, been here pretty much my whole life." save for the part where he enlisted right after high school and spent the majority of his young adult life in wars and different countries. "you?" he hadn't really seen her around before, or maybe he had, but he wasn't one to pay attention to people much.

boudoir photographer31
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
fairview street suburbs
really? she questions, all surprise and disbelief, nose wrinkling and lips stretched into that ever present grin. her eyes wander over his face in refreshed urge to study, trying to place anything that might look familiar. “same! full on born and raised, never been anywhere else, that whole thing.” something about this mystery, the pair of them growing up in the same town, energizes her. it makes her eager to place him, to find out what experiences they’ve shared, how close they might have come to meeting in a time and place before this one. “how old are you?” she questions bluntly, oblivious to the way he shifts, sure that he can’t be so much older than her.

retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
1395 posts
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
curly locks moved as he nodded his head in response to her. he gave a small 'mm' to support his nod. sure he'd been in avalon his whole life, but that didn't mean that he knew everyone. these days he struggled with meeting new people, and that was mostly because he was a nightmare at going out in social situations. he'd rather sit at home with daniel and a good book. so it was always surprising to him when he met someone new who was also a native of avalon. hence his somewhat incredulous face when she mentioned that she was also born and bred in his hometown.

"i'm 32." dominic knew that it was rude to ask a woman her age, so he didn't do so. he'd let her tell him if she wanted to. though he did wonder if they were about the same age. it kind of looked like they were, or maybe she was slightly younger than him. "when i say i've been here my whole life, what i really mean is that i was born and raised here, but as soon as i finished high school, i enlisted and went overseas. i came back here for christmas, but that's about it."

boudoir photographer31
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
fairview street suburbs
“i swear, if you say you went to avalon high… you’d have been just a year above me, that’s crazy.” she shakes her, still grinning with incredulity. it’s not that she knows everyone in avalon, that would be absurd. and even all caught together in the same high school, it would not be the first time that she’d run into someone that she’d passed in close quarters once upon a time without ever having known it. but she’s the sort of social that certainly likes to think she knows everyone and so it is always a spectacle to run into an unfamiliar face that turns out to be a fellow native. “oh wow.” she raises her eyebrows, nodding with his explanation. branching out into new york for the sake of her expanding business was about as far out of avalon as she’d ever gotten. she might have been able to see greece recently, but only two months after putting an empty coffin in the ground, she’d had to let the opportunity slide. “marines?”
retired army veteran32
at homehe/him
goes by nicky
1395 posts
estj, executive
played by
dan
gmtshe/herdinosaur
"of course i went there!" he grinned, shaking his head lightly. "i never paid much attention in school though." dominic admitted. he had good reason to do so, but he never wanted to talk about it. besides, he had always had the plan to join up with the army straight out of high school, and no-one had been able to convince him not to. "i wasn't that bright." he gave a shrug of his shoulders and looked back on fond memories for a moment. he wondered what life would have been like if he hadn't joined the army. if he had actually paid attention in school and went on to go to college, or university - or both! what could he possibly be doing at this precise moment in time if things had been different? dominic wasn't sure, and he didn't want to think about it, because it might mean that there would be no daniel. and he'd be incredibly lost without his daniel. the woman pulled him back to reality with the question and he shook his head. "no, just the regular army. i was out in afghanistan."

boudoir photographer31
goes by jo
single widow
2325 posts
looks like alison sudol
enfj
played by
lynn
estshe/her27
fairview street suburbs
she promptly presses her lips together to blow an argumentative raspberry. “bookworm.” she responds when her lips spread into a wide grin, all the retort that she feels is needed to counter the idea. he’s got imagination! not that she’d know if that imagination had been so prevalent in high school since she’d somehow managed to miss him, but oh well. she’s noticed him now. “oh wow,” she exclaims in mild surprise as he informs her that he was stationed out in afghanistan – and then she hits a block. what does she say? ‘did you like it’ or ‘how was it’ are highly inappropriate, questions for vacation spots and not war zones. ‘thank you for your service’ seems overused, something he’s probably heard a million times over. and she fights the reflex to drop her eyes to his leg, curious now if it’s because of something that happened there. “how long were you in?” general questioning feels safe.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll