dashboard
cbox quiet? try our discord
direct cbox link
left me
speechless
welcome to
avalon
gone inactive? post in character reactivation by the 14th
it's june! sun and summer have arrived in avalon!

Closed
New Poll

blue skies smiling at me, maddie/alli
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
looks like elizabeth henstridge
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
pm/discordmature status: please ask
hickory street residences
fiona's ability to plan a birthday party was, evidently, not as strong as she had once believed it to be.

then again, planning a birthday party for her son was a different animal than planning a birthday party for a friend or family member who was much older than a toddler. not many people saw the point -- what child under the age of five was going to remember their birthdays, after all? -- and, for the most part, neither did fiona but getting family and friends together in one place more than once or twice a year, for a few sporadic holidays, was the driving force behind her need to have this birthday party in the first place.

that and, of course, celebrating the fact that this little boy, the one she'd not expected when she'd first gotten pregnant, was another year older and still somewhat well adjusted, at that.

setting an array of crayons down on the table in front of her, fiona balanced her son on her knee and pointed towards the colouring page in front of her, "can you colour that for mommy? we'll put it on the fridge when we get home so daddy can see it." she cooed as he reached for one of the crayons in front of her. hopefully it would keep him occupied long enough so fiona could get something done during this little meeting. glancing out the window of the small cafe, fiona could spot madeline, the event planner she'd hired for this very situation, making her way down the street. she waved a little through the window and smiled brightly when she'd come inside and over to the table. "hi! i hope you don't mind that i brought this little munchkin along."

@madeline holden
owner54
eventiqueshe
goes by maddie
married to jack holden
8998 posts
looks like mariska hargitay
enfp-a
played by
alli
estshe/her22
aim/pmmature status: ask me
earl estate lane estates
there wasn’t a part of maddie’s job that she didn’t love. actually, a lot of the time, she was convinced that there wasn’t a part of life that she didn’t love, but that was beside the point. the point was, there wasn’t a type of party that maddie didn’t love to plan. whether it was birthday parties for little kids—and, seeing as she had raised five children of her own, she was certainly no stranger to those—or weddings, maddie loved every second of what she did. there were people who asked if she ever got tired of what she did, since she’d been doing it for so long, but the truth was that every party was so vastly different that maddie didn’t know how she could possibly ever get bored of party planning. things were always changing and she worked with so many different kinds of people who liked so many different things that maddie didn’t see how she could possibly get tired of it.

half-rushing into the coffee shop in fear that she was late for the meeting (which wasn’t something that maddie would exactly put past herself—while she had absolutely no ability to be on time to personal things, maddie really did try to be on time for work things), maddie put a smile on her face as she slid into the seat across from fiona. “hi! and no, not at all,” she said, looking at the little boy in fiona’s lap. “is that paw patrol?” she asked as she pulled a folder with fiona’s name written on it. “my little boy looooved paw patrol when he was your age,” maddie continued, searching through her purse for a pen. “first of all, how are you?” maddie asked, turning to fiona before pausing to take a quick breath to settle herself before she got focused on the more business aspect of things.
these are for notes or lyrics or whatever you want, really.
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
fiona knew she should've consulted a party planner from the beginning. it would've made her life so much easier these last few months and, even though her son's birthday wasn't until december, just a mere week before her own, there was nothing wrong with being prepared well before the day had even come. she wouldn't have all that much time to think about it when she started up at work again for the year and she didn't want to leave it until the last minute, either so this was the compromise and it was just going to have to do. "yeah, it is." fiona beamed as maddie spoke to her little boy, ruffling his mop of messy brown hair with her hand. "he loves it, it's the only thing he'll watch, the only thing that'll keep him calm and quiet." not that she particularly minded. paw patrol wasn't all that bad and, at least it was a lot better than some of the other shows they should've watched. "i'm great, enjoying my time off but more than ready to get back to work in a few weeks. how are you?"
owner54
eventiqueshe
goes by maddie
married to jack holden
8998 posts
enfp-a
played by
alli
estshe/her22
earl estate lane estates
if someone asked her to name her favorite part of her job, maddie knew that she wouldn’t be able to do it. she loved too many holidays too much to choose a favorite one of those, enjoyed weddings and all of the anniversary celebration parties that she got to plan to ignore that, and loved children and children’s parties too much to say that those weren’t her favorite part, either. and it really shouldn’t have surprised anyone who worked with maddie—anyone who merely spent a few minutes with her knew how passionate she was about making sure that whatever party she planned was the absolute best party that her client could possibly have. and having the opportunity to plan a party for such a beautiful little boy? maddie was thrilled. most of her children weren’t so little anymore, and all of them except for logan refused to let her plan their birthday parties, so maddie was going to soak up every ounce of this opportunity.

without, of course, being overbearing.

nodding a little bit, maddie laughed. “logan was the same way,” she said. “it’s really funny how they all, like… choose a show, you know?” maddie squinted her eyes a little bit. “like, with my oldest, her thing was strawberry shortcake. she loooved strawberry shortcake. my other daughter? totally hated it.” she let out a small sigh as she shook her head. so many cute outfits that had gone to waste. “amanda was all about cinderella, though.” which, as far as maddie was concerned, cinderella wasn’t necessarily the greatest princess out there, but hey. whatever made amanda happy made maddie happy, too.

nodding a bit as she got herself organized, maddie smiled. ah, time off. she couldn’t remember the last time she’d taken time off—but then again, that was totally by choice, so she couldn’t say anything. “i don’t blame you,” she said. “i don’t know what i’d do without work. i think i would go crazy.” she shook her head a little bit. “i’m good, though! keeping busy, as always. hoping to plan a trip down to the hawaii house soon hopefully.” as nice as the spring weather could be, this year had been particularly bipolar as far as the weather went, and maddie was ready for a few days down in paradise with her husband. if, of course, they could manage to pull it off.
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
fiona loved being a mother, she really did. after all of the obstacles that she and sam faced in their marriage and in trying to start their own family, it was a wonder they'd even made it as long as theey had but now that she was here, she wouldn't trade it for the world. sure, she had to give up a majority of her career -- something she still lamented but she knew she couldn't actively be gone for as long as she was while trying to be a hands on, involved mom -- but it was all for the best, wasn't it? and she loved her little boy, she really did. he was an angel and if something as silly as a television show was going to keep him entertained while she got a few things done without interruption, then she wasn't going to knock it.

"it keeps him entertained, i can't really complain about that." fiona laughed, shifting her son on her lap again to get a little more comfortable. sure, he could've had his own chair but it wasn't like she minded, plus he wasn't all that heavy and she could at least keep him from wandering off while she wasn't looking if she kept him sitting on her lap while he coloured. "that sounds exciting, though," fiona replied, referring to the trip down to hawaii. she'd never been herself but from everything she'd heard about hawaii and everything like that, she knew she would've enjoyed it. "and hopefully it's sometime during the winter, going somewhere tropical to avoid the cold is ideal."

owner54
eventiqueshe
goes by maddie
married to jack holden
8998 posts
enfp-a
played by
alli
estshe/her22
earl estate lane estates
when asked to describe herself, there were three words that came to mind for maddie: wife, mother, and event planner. they came, of course, in that order—although that was, to some people, apparently not the best order for maddie to think of things in. she wasn’t one to really let people who thought like that get her down, though. as far as she was concerned, there was nothing wrong with putting her husband above her children for, without her husband, she wouldn’t have her children, and without a good and stable relationship with jack, she wouldn’t have a safe household in which to raise her amazing children. when she explained that, though, people’s first question was always: “well, who would you choose if you had to save one person from your burning house? jack or your kids?” and honestly? maddie didn’t think that was fair. to this day, at fifty three—almost fifty four—years old, maddie didn’t have an answer and clammed up every time someone so much as began to ask the question. in non life-or-death situations, there was no doubt that her husband came first—but when it came to saving someone’s life? maddie couldn’t choose.

and people, of course, knocked her for that, too. why, maddie didn’t understand, because it just meant that she loved her family, but whatever. luckily fiona wasn’t questioning her on how maddie felt about her family—or, moreover, about mothering in general—which meant that she didn’t really have to think about it.

not that maddie ever really stopped thinking about being a mother, of course, because that was one thing that she felt like she was a natural at, but that was beside the point. 

laughing, maddie nodded. “mmm, i know how that is,” she replied. lucas, while an absolute angel, could certainly be a handful at times—an energetic ball of energy like his mother, but a handful nonetheless. and, since maddie was the one who was home with him most of the time, especially during the summer, she couldn’t knock any tv shows, either. she’d be lying if she said that she didn’t use the tv and video games to her advantage, too—and maddie didn’t like to lie. “it should be a lot of fun,” she agreed with a nod. “jack and i typically go down for our anniversary, which is definitely a nice escape, but i wouldn’t mind a nice, tropical summer trip, either.” she let out a wistful sigh as she thought of the beach that lined the back of their property and all of the things she could be doing instead of just dreaming about them.
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
the more maddie talked about her tropical trips when the weather here, presumably, wasn't so tropical, the more fiona really, really wanted to go somewhere nice and warm. despite all of her commitments here in avalon and new york, despite a growing family that was sure to only get bigger in due time when both she and sam felt like they were ready to handle having another child, getting away from all of that and not having to think about plane tickets or hockey stats or anything that either of their careers entailed was, truthfully, very appealing.

not that fiona hated her job and not that she thought sam hated his either, but having a break when everything was going to fast over the last few years, was nice to think about, even if it was only that -- a thought.

"if your husband is anything like mine, i'm fairly certain that you wouldn't have a hard time convincing him to go in the summer." fiona smiled, glancing down briefly to watch her son messily colour the picture in front of him without a care in the world about what was going on around him. "but i guess it's also nice to just have it be a once a year thing where there's a good reason for it and not just because you felt like going, you know?" fiona paused momentarily, adding, "not that there's anything wrong with going somewhere just because, but still."

owner54
eventiqueshe
goes by maddie
married to jack holden
8998 posts
enfp-a
played by
alli
estshe/her22
earl estate lane estates
maddie was fully aware of the fact that she, more than most women she knew, was fairly spoiled. sure, there were times when she really needed to work at jack to get him to agree to something—like, you know, buying a house on the other side of the country—but, when it came down to it, if maddie really wanted something, she knew that jack would give it to her. by the same token, though, maddie would drop everything in a heartbeat to give jack whatever he wanted, so she felt like that had to count for something. their marriage was all give and take and it worked because neither of them took more than they gave.

nodding and laughing a little bit, maddie couldn’t help but agree. “no, it wouldn’t be hard at all,” she said. “we bought the house to use it, not to have it sit there, and i think that that’s all i would need to tell him to get him to go.” she lifted her shoulders in a small shrug. she knew that jack hated leaving pierre’s for all that long—if he even agreed to leave at all—so that would really be where her battle was. her point was right, though: they didn’t buy the house to have it sit there for most of the year with absolutely no one living in it. and renting it? they could consider it, sure, and she knew that it would easily rent out because of its location on the beach, but she wasn’t sure that she wanted anyone living in her house, even if it was only temporarily. she loved her house too much to risk someone ruining it in some way.

and she really didn’t want anyone else sleeping in her bed.

“exactly,” maddie agreed. “we don’t take many impromptu trips, but… i think it may be nice to do something like that every once in a while.” she shrugged. every once in a while, it was nice to pick up and go with no plans in mind—not that jack would agree on that, but whatever. “my birthday is coming up, so at least i can try and use that, too, as a reason to convince him.” not, again, that maddie really thought or felt like it would take all that much convincing, but that was beside the point.
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
"well, if your birthday is coming up, then it should be a cake walk." fiona laughed, knowing that if she had a house somewhere like hawaii, there would be no second guessing where she would be spending her time for her birthday or any given holiday that she could get away for. she would forgo her job, forgo her responsibilities and spend as much time in hawaii if she could in that situation and anyone who knew her would, most likely, agree and say that it was, truly, something she would actually do. alas, that wasn't the situation and she was stuck spending her birthday in snowy avalon.

(not that she minded, of course, because her son's birthday was not long before her own and she felt bad carting him around as often as she did now, she wouldn't have wanted to add to that even if it was for fun.)

"it's good that you have that philosophy, though, you know. it's there so you might as well use it." fiona lifted her shoulders in a shrug, adding with a furrowed brow. "i know a lot of people who would probably not do the same, which is silly." her brow softened, though, because as silly as she thought it was to not utilize something like that, she knew there must've been a good reason for them to not do so and she wasn't one to judge -- or if she was, she wasn't one to judge too harshly. "happy early birthday, by the way."

owner54
eventiqueshe
goes by maddie
married to jack holden
8998 posts
enfp-a
played by
alli
estshe/her22
earl estate lane estates
as much as maddie knew that jack spoiled her and would give her anything that she really wanted, she knew that the same was true of her for jack. there wasn’t a single thing that maddie wouldn’t drop and run from in order to answer one of jack’s calls or to get him something that he wanted, no matter how important it was. marriage, they said, was a give and take, and maddie felt as though she and jack demonstrated that perfectly. she was glad that they had been like that their entire marriage, too, because it meant that their kids had grown up with high standards for any relationships that they entered in their lives.

or, at least, maddie hoped they did.

needless to say, she was fairly certain that she and jack had done a fairly decent job of setting their kids up for at least some success in their lives. and while she knew that no one was perfect—not even her kids, which sometimes baffled her, and other times she was the first to jump and raise her hand to say that her kids were far from perfect and the biggest pains in her ass that she’d ever met—she was glad to say that her kids were, for the most part, pretty damn close.

“exactly,” maddie agreed with a laugh. she could make some comment about how all she really had to do was seriously ask jack for something and he would give it to her, which was completely true, but she wasn’t that kind of person, nor did she like to seem like she was rubbing her marriage in anyone else’s face. she still remembered a time when she had been talking to someone about her marriage and how she needed jack for someone and the other person had gotten defensive over the whole thing—and while maddie had been appalled at someone trying to tell her that she shouldn’t feel like she needed her husband, maddie had taken the situation to heart and tried not to brag about how amazing her husband was too much.

“oh, thank you,” maddie said with a smile. “it’s kind of crazy how time flies,” she said with a small sigh.
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
"well, speaking of birthdays," fiona said, in an attempt to get this thing back on track — though she didn't mind the extraneous conversation, in fact, she rather enjoyed it — she looked back down at her son sitting in her lap, happily colouring the picture in front of him. "this little guy's got one coming up in a few months." it was amazing to fiona how time flew because it often felt like she'd only found out she was pregnant just a few months ago, felt like she was still trying to get everything for the nursery together while juggling a job that she'd been severely limited at as a result of her pregnancy and trying to convince herself that she'd be a good mother and yet, here she was with an almost five year old son and thinking that maybe she and sam had this parenthood thing down pat enough that they could consider having another child in the near future. "and i honestly have no idea what to do or where to even start when it comes to planning his birthday party." he was turning five and fiona felt like they had to do something that was memorable in some way. if he had been younger, she wouldn't have put much thought into it but he'd remember this one, for sure.
owner54
eventiqueshe
goes by maddie
married to jack holden
8998 posts
enfp-a
played by
alli
estshe/her22
earl estate lane estates
there were a lot of mixed emotions that came whenever maddie planned a birthday party for a young child. on one side, just like everything else she did for her job, she absolutely loved it. she loved planning and making all of these fabulous things and she loved seeing a child’s face light up more than she loved seeing anyone else’s faces light up when they finally saw whatever maddie had had up her sleeve. at the same time, though, it was sad—sad because maddie knew that there were only so many parties left that she could plan before she started to get bored with it, sure, but even more sad because she missed the days when it had been her kids that she’d been planning all of these amazing things for. now, she was lucky if she got to plan a dinner for her family—and even then, it wasn’t really maddie who was doing the work, it was jack. and honestly? it kind of sucked. maddie loved her husband and she loved that she was married to a chef, but there was a part of her that felt like she wasn’t doing what she was supposed to and like she should be the one cooking the meals, not her husband.

none of that mattered right now, though, and maddie put a smile on her face despite the bittersweet feelings that nagged at the back of her brain. “well,” maddie started. “i do, luckily, have a couple of ideas,” she joked with a smile. “are you thinking about doing a paw patrol birthday? or is there something that he likes more?” she asked, knowing that she had approximately a zillion resources for any kind of birthday party that fiona wanted to throw for her son.
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
given how much time there was until elliot’s birthday, fiona figured it would’ve made sense for her to at least have some idea as to what she wanted to do for it, however, being as busy as she had been – and as busy as sam had been, too – it was understandable that she hadn’t given it very much thought outside of...well, they should do something. and it was just easier to find someone who enjoyed planning and executing parties like this so she didn’t really have to think about it amongst the nine hundred other things that she had to focus on during any given day. “that would be a couple more ideas than i had myself,” fiona replied with a laugh, a smile crossing her face as she smoothed back some of her son’s hair while he continued to sit and happily colour as if nothing else was going on around him. “paw patrol was really the only thing that had come to mind in terms of a theme but i hadn’t given it much thought outside of that,” fiona replied, lifting her shoulders in a shrug, “you might have a better idea, though? honestly he likes typical boy things, too, so i’m sure there might be something else there.”
owner54
eventiqueshe
goes by maddie
married to jack holden
8998 posts
enfp-a
played by
alli
estshe/her22
earl estate lane estates
when it came to typical boy things that little boys enjoyed, maddie had a go-to list of a good fifty or so things that she could fall back on if she needed to. luckily, said list was not an actual pen and paper list, nor did it exist anywhere but the back of maddie’s memory bank—something that she was thankful for in moments like this, if she was being completely honest. “well, there’s a whole bunch of things we could do instead if you didn’t want to do paw patrol,” she said. “cars, trucks, fire in general—not in a creepy, pyromaniac way, of course, but like… fire trucks and dalmatians kind of way—football, sports in general, spiderman, pirates, superman, the hulk, superheroes in general…” maddie paused for a moment, hoping she wasn’t overwhelming fiona. “there’s also the whole new thing about focusing more on colors instead of themes?” she lifted her shoulders in a shrug. she’d done a few of those parties, of course, but they weren’t necessarily her favorite. “we could do jungle animals, a petting zoo…” maddie stopped again. “or paw patrol, too, like i said. or thomas the train engine, monsters, minions…” maddie stopped. “that was a lot. i’m sorry,” she said, deciding not to give fiona anymore options unless she asked for them. “i can give you more, too, if you want, or any of those is perfectly good with me,” she said.
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
if fiona hadn’t been felling overwhelmed at the idea of throwing her son a birthday party, then she certainly was as soon as madeline started rattling off a whole bunch of different themes – everything from superheroes to sports to firetrucks and firemen and, of course, paw patrol and minions and everything else. she didn’t know if she’d looked half shocked at all of the suggestions or if madeline had just realized how much information she’d thrown at fiona in such a short amount of time but the apology had fiona shaking her head, “no, no, it’s okay!” she said with a smile, “i mean, it’s your job to know all of these things, right?” and okay, yes, she was overwhelmed but she didn’t want madeline to feel bad for something she’d been doing for long. “superheroes would be a good one, so would the sports one but i don’t think i could reasonably get away with doing anything other than hockey and i think i want to stay away from that for the time being,” she’d swore that she wouldn’t let her family’s interest in hockey get in the way of how she was raising her son and that started with not giving into the hockey craze that they loved so much. “but superheroes is definitely a good theme, too.”
owner54
eventiqueshe
goes by maddie
married to jack holden
8998 posts
enfp-a
played by
alli
estshe/her22
earl estate lane estates
maddie knew that, approximately ninety eight percent of the time, she functioned at a pace that was much faster than whoever was with her. jack got on her all the time about slowing down and not rushing through things as much as she did, but honestly, maddie couldn’t help it. her brain thought at the pace of about a mile a minute and anything slower typically made maddie bored and, therefore, got her into trouble. and at least she knew that she was doing it to other people, right? wouldn’t it be a lot worse if she was fully unaware and baffled by people not thinking as quickly as she did?

either way, she’d spent enough time with jack by now to know that, when his voice popped up in her head and told her to slow down, she needed to apologize for moving as quickly as she did. again, not that she really thought it was her fault or anything, but still. apologizing was the right thing to do because she didn’t want to overwhelm people with things that, really, it was her job to think—and think quickly—about. “i think they’re all good,” maddie said with a nod. “there are some things that are easier to get than others, like superheroes is probably easier than hockey, but i have my resources for everything.” and that was true: whatever maddie couldn’t find, she had a friend make, and every party that she threw ended up fabulously decorated, if she could say so herself. “so superheroes or paw patrol?” she asked, trying to focus the conversation so that they could start planning for whichever theme it was that fiona preferred.
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
honestly, at the end of the day, the only thing that mattered to fiona is that things were accomplished without much of a fuss and that, when the day finally came for her son to have his fifth birthday, that everyone they had invited could be there, whether it was friends, family or otherwise. she didn't want to make things unnecessarily difficult for maddie, even if this was what she did for a living, and the easier the theme, fiona figured, the better. and, anyways, maddie was the expert, fiona wasn't — there was a reason maddie was employing her services in the first place. "i think we'll go with superheroes." fiona replied, nodding her head. she'd seen enough paw patrol around the house that it didn't matter how much her son liked the show or the characters, she wanted a bit of a break. plus, who didn't like superheroes?
owner54
eventiqueshe
goes by maddie
married to jack holden
8998 posts
enfp-a
played by
alli
estshe/her22
earl estate lane estates
nodding as fiona decided on superheroes, maddie pulled her phone out of her purse for a moment so she could start looking for a party she’d thrown recently with the same theme. “i did one of those a couple of weekends ago… just one second,” she said, scrolling through some of her pictures. “oh! here we go,” she said a couple of moments later, handing her phone to fiona. “scroll through those—there’s maybe five or six of them—and let me know what you think. not that i want to throw the exact same party, of course, but if you tell me what you like and what you don’t like about these pictures, i can better move forward with making the party perfect for you and for elliot,” she said. “also, is there a particular superhero that you want highlighted or just any and all superheroes?” she asked.
rangers reporter30
everywhereshe/hers
goes by fi
married to sam andrews
2409 posts
esfj (the consul)
played by
lindsay
cstshe/hers26
after maddie handed the phone to fiona, she scrolled through the aforementioned photos, taking care to look at each. she hadn't had much of a chance to see the things that maddie was capable of but it was evident, even through pictures, that she was capable of making something memorable and, well, wasn't that exactly what fiona had wanted? "wow, these look great." she marveled, reaching the end of the photos before handing maddie's phone back to her and shifting elliot on her lap a little so both she and her son were a little more comfortable. "now i'm really glad that i came to you instead of some other party planning service." fiona smiled a little, "i like that there's a lot to do, you know? there's more than one activity and it's not just limited to one thing. it'd keep the kids busy for a while so they don't get bored too quickly and get cranky before everything's even started." that was the last thing they wanted, naturally, and when it came to the question of which superheroes they wanted, or didn't, fiona shook her head, "nothing in particular, just any and all, i think. so long as they look cool, i think that's all that matters."
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Closed
New Poll